Māori Standing Committee
The Māori Standing Committee is a committee of the Council. The Māori Standing Committee acts as a check and balance on Council processes, especially on those matters requiring a Māori perspective, as well as an advisory body for Council on matters requiring a Māori perspective. This includes the development and revision of Council policies and strategies. Tangata whenua can take issues to their takiwā representative or the Māori Standing Committee, who can then advocate for the tangata whenua to Council or to other bodies (if appropriate).
- Considers the role of Māori in protecting and enhancing the future wellbeing of Wairoa District.
- Considers governance issues relating to Council obligations to tangata whenua.
- Investigates and reports to the Council on any issues that the Māori Standing Committee considers necessary that may have an implication for tangata whenua.
- His Worship the Mayor Craig Little (ex-officio)
- Councillor Charles (Charlie) Lambert
- Councillor Jeremy Harker
- Kiwa Hammond (Wairoa Hopupu) (Chairperson), Paul Kelly (Wairoa Matangirau) (Deputy Chairperson), Peter Whaanga (Mahia Mai Tawhiti), Whaiora Maindonald (Wairoa Honengenenge), Henare Mita (Rakaipaaka), Here Nissen (Ruakituri), Sharon Cooper/Stone (Waikaremoana), Adrian Manuel (Wairoa Whanui), Theresa Thornton (Pahauwera).
Agendas & Minutes
For the Agendas of the Maori Standing Committee please click here.
For the Minutes of the Maori Standing Committee please click here.
To find out more about the committee, contact the Māori Relationship Manager at the Wairoa District Council.
+64 6 838 7309