All dogs with the exception of Disability Assist Dogs are prohibited from the following areas:
- All school grounds throughout the district
- All pre-school/kindergarten/early childhood centre facilities throughout the district
- All playgrounds throughout the district
- All sports facilities throughout the district
- Wairoa District Council buildings
- Any other areas as that Council deems necessary, either permanently or temporarily, and which will be publicly notified and sign-posted accordingly.
Dogs shall only be allowed in the following areas while under continuous direct physical control by its owner or responsible person by way of an effective lead or being carried in a vehicle while tethered to the vehicle.
- Streets within any residential or commercial area and all public places within these; and,
- All public parks, carparks, public reserves and parts of parks and reserves under the control of Council which are neither prohibited areas, or off lead areas.
Off-Lead Exercise Areas
The following areas are designated off-lead exercise areas:
- Private properties with suitable means of containment of the dogs;
- Old landfill site at Fraser Street;
- Whakamahia Road reserve from the end of the limestone walkway to the estuary excluding the DOC land that is fenced off; and,
- Pilot’s Hill reserve.
Whakamahia Road Reserve
Whakamahia Road reserve from the end of the limestone walkway to the estuary (area outlined in bold yellow line) (excluding the DOC land that is fenced off outlined in red and hatched).
Close up of starting point of the Whakamahia reserve off-lead area outlined in bold yellow line and hatched.
Pilot's Hill Reserve
Pilot’s Hill reserve and beach area for river access for swimming (area outlined in bold yellow line and hatched).
Old landfill site
Old landfill site at Fraser Street area outlines in bold yellow line and hatched.