skip to main content skip to main menu

Environmental Health
~ Ratonga Tiaki Taiao

noise microphone

Noise Complaints

We respond to complaints about unreasonable or excessive noise in the community and take action when the noise unreasonably interferes with your peace, comfort and convenience.

If at any time you are disturbed by excessive or unreasonable noise, call the Environmental Health Office at the Wairoa District Council. A noise control officer will assess the noise leaving the property concerned and if it is deemed to be excessive or unreasonable the noise level will be required to be reduced.

This does not, however, include noise from vehicles unless they are on private property.

After hours call the Wairoa District Council and you will be directed to make your complaint.

The Resource Management Act 1991

The noise control provisions under this Act are designed to:

  • Protect the public from excessive or unreasonable noise
  • Protect the rights of people and industry to make a reasonable amount of noise
  • Set out obligations for all of us to keep noise to a reasonable level
  • Enables Noise Enforcement Officers to assess noise based on its effect on neighbouring premises. A sound level meter is not necessary for this assessment.

Noise Not Covered By The Act

There are situations where we cannot help as the type of noise is specifically covered or controlled by other legislation. The most common situations include:

  • Barking dogs - Dog Control Act, contact Wairoa District Council
  • Noisy vehicles on the road - Traffic Regulations, contact NZ Police
  • Noise within the workplace - Health and Safety in Employment Act, contact OSH
  • Noise between tenants with the same landlord - Residential Tenancies Act, contact your landlord

Your Responsibilities

Under the Act, you must keep noise from your property to a "reasonable" level. Although there is no clear definition of what is "reasonable", generally noise should not disturb your neighbours or be clearly audible beyond your property boundary.

Noise In Your Neighbourhood

Everybody should expect some degree of noise in their neighbourhood from time to time. We do not regulate everyday activities such as mowing lawns, building construction, road repairs etc. While such noise may be a nuisance to you temporarily, provided the hours of operation are reasonable, we may not respond to such complaints.

Unreasonable Noise

There are certain noisy activities in our community that we cannot reduce or abate immediately. This is generally industrial or commercial noise. A full noise assessment and measurements may be carried out to determine if the noise level is in breach of any District Plan rules. If the noise is found to be unreasonable, we may serve an Abatement Notice requiring the noise to be reduced within a set period of time.

Excessive Noise

Excessive noise is under human control and defined as noise being of "such a nature as to unreasonably interfere with the peace, comfort and convenience" of any person. Loud party and stereo noise and noise from licensed premises are the most common source of complaints. Assessment of the noise is subjective and noise measurements do not need to be taken. If noise is excessive the Noise Control Officer will request that the noise be reduced to a reasonable level. This may be verbally or as a written notice which remains in force for 72 hours. If the noise is not reduced the Noise Control Officer, with Police assistance, may enter the premises and seize and impound the equipment or take away any working parts or lock or seal it to make it inoperable. f the owner of such equipment applies for its return, the District Council will decide whether to return it or not and also the fee payable to cover the cost of seizure and impoundment.

The Wairoa District Council wishes to avoid such drastic action and would prefer that individuals take responsibility themselves to ensure that whilst they enjoy activities on their premises they do not impose the effects of those activities upon their neighbours.

Planning A Party

If you are planning a party, be considerate of your neighbours and the community and take a few simple steps:

  • Inform your neighbours about the event in advance
  • Ask them to phone you if the noise is too loud
  • Consider the time of your event - neighbours will be more tolerant during reasonable hours
  • Keep window and doors closed to contain the noise
  • Reduce the bass level of the music and keep guests inside

Band Practice

For regular band practices choose a location where the noise will not disturb others, such as an industrial area.

Having Problems With Noise?

If you have a noisy neighbour, try talking to them first. If the problem persists, phone the Wairoa District Council on (06) 838 7309. The Noise Control service is available 24 hours and an officer will respond to excessive noise (such as music) at the time of the complaint.

It will also be appreciated that every call-out involving a noise Enforcement Officer represents a cost to the community. Your co-operation in adopting a reasonable approach to activities that generate noise will contribute to making our community a more pleasant environment in which to live.


For more information relating to Noise Control please contact the Wairoa District Council.

+64 6 838 7309

Related Documents

There are no documents related to this page.

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

4 page views for the last 30 days

Share this page
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share by Email

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Wairoa District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Wairoa District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Wairoa District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Wairoa District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Wairoa District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 / Fax: +64 6 838 8874