The museum is centrally located on Wairoa's Marine Parade (142 Marine Parade). You cannot miss the red street canopy!
In 2001 the museum completed the refurbishment of the old ANZ bank building on Marine Parade into a purpose built climate controlled museum, with top quality storage facilities. In 2005 they added a further storage space and education space.
In late 2016 the Museum launched a major new redevelopment – Kakapa –the pulse. This included
- Refurbishment of all galleries and installation of new exhibitions
- Increasing overall exhibition space by 100%
- Increasing displayable collection from 5% to 92%
- Development of an interactive Discovery Space including production of educational activities and resources
- Production of a Wairoa District heritage inventory featuring the Museum's collection
- Repatriation of a NZ Wars flag from Scotland to the Wairoa Museum
Over this period we have seen steady increases in visitor numbers. Independent surveys commissioned by the Wairoa District Council show that satisfaction ratings of the museum (of all residents) have improved from 45% in 2000 to over 80% in 2016.
- Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm
- 1st Saturday of the month only 10am - noon
- Closed on public holidays.
For more information please contact the Wairoa Museum.
+64 6 838 3108