Council accepts online lodgement of buildings consents.
What is Building Consent?
Almost all building work requires approval by us through a building consent. A Building Consent is a legal document, provided by Council, stating that your proposed building, plumbing, drainage and safety requirements comply with the Building Code.
Why do I need one?
If you plan to carry out any building work to a temporary or permanent, movable or immovable structure, then you need a building consent. This is to ensure that the building or structure is safe and sound and fit for purpose.
Here are some examples of work that requires consent:
- Any structural building including new buildings, additions, accessory buildings (sheds) and re-piling.
- Plumbing and drainage.
- Demolition or relocations of existing structures.
- Heating (fireplaces)
- Siteworks for building
- Retaining walls higher than 1.5m or with a driveway near the top.
- Fences higher than 2.5m and any swimming pool fence.
- Swimming pools.
- Decks more than 1.5 from ground level.
All building work must comply with the Building Act 2004 and the Building Code. The Act and the Code are legally binding and if you breach them or don't obtain a building consent you may face penalties.
What are Building Consent conditions?
Conditions may be imposed on the building consent to ensure compliance with certain requirements of the Building Act. Conditions may apply to some aspects of work, and a list of inspection requirements will be included.
Building work must commence within 12 months from the date the building consent was issued. It is important to note that buliding work must be completed within two years from the date the building consent was granted.
What will it cost?
The government levies and Wairoa District Council deposit to be paid with the application are calculated on the following basis:
- BRANZ Levy: 1% of the value of the work when the value, including GST exceeds $20,000.
- Department of Building and Housing: 0.201% of the value of the work when the value, including GST, exceeds $20,000.
- Wairoa District Council Consent Deposit: For work less than $100,000, deposit is $400. For work greater than $100,000, deposit is $1,000. for Commercial Consents the deposit is $1,000.
- For more detailed information about Fees and Charges, please follow this link to the Annual Plan
For more information please contact the Wairoa District Council.
+64 6 838 7309